Name of EventEaster Sunday
|Yield||1 loaf (16 slices)|
|Preparation time||20 minutes + 65 minutes resting time for dough|
|Cooking time||25-30 minutes|
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 3 to 6 eggs, unpeeled*
- Assorted food coloring (follow instructions on packet)
- Canola/vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
*The eggs need to be raw, don't hard boil them. Also, dye your eggs to make the bread more colorful. If you have a few kids lying around, they come in really handy for this.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, cardamom, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add 3 eggs; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dye the eggs with food coloring following package directions. Let stand until completely dry.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 24-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Lightly coat dyed eggs with oil; arrange on braid, tucking them carefully between ropes.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; gently brush over dough, avoiding eggs. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers.
For more Easter Festive recipes visit our festive events page.
If you need Italian groceries we recommemd The destination for Italian cooking and