Name of EventEaster Sunday
Dessert of cherries, cream, and cherry liqueur on a chocolate sponge base.
|Preparation time||15- 20 minutes + 2 hours refrigeration + 15 minutes decorating|
|Cooking time||50-60 minutes|
Making the cake
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated/caster sugar
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder (I use organic)
Filling and Decoration
- 1 jar (720 ml) pitted sour cherries or 1 can pitted cherries
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 2 cups whipping/thickened cream
- 1 tbsp icing/confectioners' sugar
- 2 packages "Whip It" (whipping cream stabilizer) Optional
- 2 tbsp Kirschwasser (Cherry Liqueur) optional (available most liquor stores)
- 1/4 lb chocolate shavings/sprinkles
Making the Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare 10 inch springform pan by lining bottom of pan with parchment/baking paper.
- Beat egg whites, slowly adding sugar and vanilla sugar, until stiff.
- Mix egg yolks with 2 tbsp lukewarm water. Gently fold into stiffly beaten egg white mixture.
- Mix together flour, corn starch, and cocoa. Sift over egg white mixture. Fold in gently.
- Pour into prepared springform pan, gently leveling top.
- Bake 30 - 40 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto cake rack and remove pan. Remove parchment paper. When cake is cold, cover and let stand overnight (or a few hours) before filling.
- Cut cake into 3 layers.
Decorating the cake
- Drain cherries, saving liquid.
- Blend cornstarch and vanilla sugar into cherry liquid and bring to boil. Once thickened, remove from heat and add cherries (saving a few for decoration). Let cool.
- Whip cream, slowly adding "Whip I" (optional) and icing/confectioners' sugar, until cream is whipped firm (be careful not to over whip!).
- Drizzle Kirschwasser/cherry liquor over cake layers.
- Place bottom cake layer onto cake platter. Place springform pan edge around cake (will help cake remain neat while filling). Place half of cherry mixture on top. Add 2nd cake layer. Pour rest of cherry mixture over cake. Spread some whipped cream over cherry mixture. Add third layer. Press down slightly until levelled. Let cake sit in fridge for about 2 hours. (Refrigerate remaining whipped cream!)
- Remove springform edge. Place some whipped cream into pastry bag with a fluted tip. Cover cake with remaining whipped cream. Pipe rosettes on top of cake.
- Decorate with cherries, chocolate shavings and, as its Easter some relevant decorations such as chocolate eggs - use your imagination!. Chocolate sprinkles are nice around the edge as well.