Name of EventSt Martin's Day
Sweet and sour at the same time, seasoned with cloves.
|Preparation time||10 mins|
|Cooking time||1 1/2 hour|
|Main Ingredient||Red Cabbage|
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, shredded or diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 - 3 tbsp butter, oil, or lard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp corn starch
Making the Cabbage:
- In large pot, heat butter, oil, lard, or combination.
- Lightly saute the onion.
- Add the red cabbage and apples. Continue to saute for several minutes.
- Add 1 cup water, optional red wine, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Mix together.
- Bring to simmer, cover. Simmer about 30 - 60 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add the lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt. Addthe cloves, pepper, sugar, and vinegar as needed.
- Slowly mix about 2 tbsp cornstarch with cold water and slowly stir in just enough to thicken red cabbage liquid.
- For an extra quick red cabbage recipe, use canned or jarred red cabbage. Add shredded or grated apples. Simmer until apples are cooked, about 10 minutes. Season and thicken with corn starch as above.
- The traditional "recipe for red cabbage" is cooked till almost the "mush" stage. If you prefer, you can slice the cabbage instead of shredding and cook it only about 1/2 hour instead if you prefer a more "textured" cabbage dish. Delicious as well.